Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The 10 Count: Q&A with Off The Ropes Show's Mr. Routt


Next up in The 10 Count series is YouTube personality Michael Routt. But for those who watch the Off The Ropes Show, you know him as Mr. Routt.

He and five of his best friends kickstarted an online wrestling review show. Two short years later, Routt and the rest of the show are now one of the most popular in the Internet Wrestling Community.

For my question and answer session with Mr. Routt, click the jump below.

1. What is your earliest wrestling memory?

My first real memory of wrestling comes from when I was about six, which would have been 1987, right around the time of WrestleMania III. I remember watching Hulk Hogan cutting promos while sitting in the living room and eating off my Alf TV tray as my Dad sat on the couch.

2. Is there a particular wrestling moment that got you hooked?

While Hogan vs. Andre really was what got me started in watching wrestling, I would have to say the first time I saw Macho Man and Hogan together in the ring is probably what got me hooked with these two larger than life guys standing there and cutting epic promos. I also was a big fan of Jake the Snake and Brutus the Barber Beefcake back then mainly because of their gimmicks. But Hogan was the thing that kept me coming back. I even had a Hogan wrestling buddy.

3. What is your favorite part about running OTRS?

OTRS offers all of us to express our opinions, for better or worse and to interact with other people. I have made many friendships from doing OTRS that I imagine will last for the rest of my life with people from different states and countries and that just blows my mind. I never thought that I would have hours of conversation with someone from Britain just from doing a YouTube show.


(The latest Raw Review from OTRS.)

4. If you were the head of WWE creative, what would you put more focus on?

Developing more feuds between different guys. The WWE has a real problem it seems of building feuds for their undercard and mid-card and thus we get the same group of ten or eleven guys always featured each week. Bringing in some of the talent that they have but never feature to have feuds break up the overexposure of guys like a Cena, Orton, Kane, Big Show, etc.

5. If you could pick the Undertaker's next WrestleMania opponent, who would it be?

I really think that if the WWE doesn't do Cena vs. Taker, they'll regret it down the road. I think that Cena taking on Taker and them having an honest to God, tear the roof off the place blowout of a match, that could really prove that Cena is the guy who deserves to be the face of the company. And this is coming from a guy who's not the world's biggest Cena advocator. 

6. Do you see the WWE moving out of the "PG Era" anytime soon?

WWE seems to already be out of the PG Era and moving into the G Era in all honesty. But to be fair, PG doesn't mean lame. A rating of PG can work fine as long as you have a writing staff that can work within those guidelines. The stories, if done properly, can still be engaging and the characters edgy, but the current writing staff fails to push the boundaries of their talents and instead offers up the same main events and openings every night.

7. Which two current WWE Superstars, that have yet to feud, would you like to see square off?

I think a Sandow and Ziggler feud could be interesting. Sure, you would have to turn one baby face, and my choice would be Ziggler. I would probably have Sandow win most of the matches, but giving Ziggler that big win at the feud's end.

8. With all factors considered (in-ring ability, mic skills draw power, etc.), who in your mind is the greatest wrestler of all-time?

I know this is the safe answer, but I have to go with Hogan. Hogan brought in a whole new generation of wrestling fans and is still a household name to this day. Hogan is the real deal, whole package guy.

9. If you could go back in time and attend any wrestling event, what would it be?

Wrestling V would be up towards the top of the list to see Hogan vs. Savage, The Ultimate Warrior, The Hart Foundation, etc. It would be epic. The other one would be 'Mania III just because the image of Hogan and Andre is still to this day so engrained into my head.

10. Dead or alive, which former wrestler would you like to see perform one more match?

Macho Man, without any reservation.


In addition to OTRS, Mr. Routt also runs his own YouTube channel. Check that out by clicking this link.

For my past question and answer sessions, visit the links below:
Tommy Dreamer
Schlegdaddy

No comments:

Post a Comment