Saturday, September 29, 2012

The 10 Count: Q&A with ECW Legend Tommy Dreamer


Fun fact: Tommy Dreamer attended Iona College. I currently attend Iona College. 

Awesome, huh?

Anyway, it's not everyday you get to connect with a such a prominent figure in any industry. Luckily for me, I was able to conduct this edition of The 10 Count with Extreme Championship Wrestling legend Tommy Dreamer.

Plain and simple, the words "Dreamer" and "hardcore" are just about synonymous. When someone says ECW, Tommy Dreamer is easily one of the first names to come to mind.

During his nine-year tenure with the company, Dreamer was a one-time ECW World Heavyweight Champion and four-time World Tag Team Champion. The "Innovator of Violence" then moved onto the WWE in 2001.

There, Dreamer captured the Hardcore Championship on 14 different occasions and even a reprised ECW World Heavyweight Championship during its fresh, but brief, relaunch in the WWE.

He has also worked for TNA Impact Wrestling and the House of Hardcore promotions over the past three years.

As wrestling fans, we all know that Dreamer is a give-it-his-all, all-or-nothing guy. But what about some of his personal preferences.

In my attempt to dig a little deeper into the mind of a Dreamer (see what I did there?), here is my question and answer session with the "Heart and Soul" of ECW.

1. When did you know you wanted to become a professional wrestler?

The first time I saw it, nine years old.

2. Who was your favorite wrestler growing up?

Bob Backlund, Dusty Rhodes, all of them really.

3. What does it mean to be a legend for a promotion like ECW?

It is something I will hold with great pride. It will be my legacy.

4. Who is your dream opponent you never got the chance to face one-on-one?

Triple H, Ric Flair and HBK.

5. What would you consider your career defining moment?

I have had so many. I guess the caning by Sandman started Dreamer.



6. Who was your favorite wrestler to work with?

All. I love my job.

7. How different of a dynamic was ECW compared to WWE?

Night and day [ECW] we were a team. They [WWE] are individuals.

8. Who is the most influential individuals you have encountered during your career?

Paul Heyman, Terry Funk, Mick Foley.


(Dreamer teams up with Funk to take on Foley and Raven.)

9. What is the most painful spot you have ever taken?

Jerry Lawler's cane to the nuts.

10. When it's all said and done, what do you want to be remembered for?

I have a motto-- I wrestle every single match like its my last because one day I know it will be. I was and am still a fan. I was just like the fans. I just got lucky breaks. 

For more Tommy Dreamer, visit his official website at TheTommyDreamer.com. You can also follow Dreamer on Twitter feed, @THETOMMYDREAMER.

No comments:

Post a Comment